To move VAR folder to another (existing) drive:
1. Go to single user mode (init 1) or stop all running services
2. copy var folder to new drive
# cd /var
# cp -ax * /data/newvar
3. Rename the original /var directory
# cd /
# mv var var.old
4. Create symbolic link to the new var folder
#ln -s /data/newvar /var
5. Exit from single-user mode
..you need to tell Windows 7 that you want to use the machine as a file server and that it should allocate resources accordingly.
Set the following registry key to ‘1′:
HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlSession ManagerMemory ManagementLargeSystemCache
and set the following registry key to ‘3′:
After changing the two registry settings, I simply restarted the “Server” service in Windows 7 and now the sharing is working fine.